Welcome to The Chronicle of Change

The Chronicle of Change is a collection of poetry written since the 1990s. As most of the poems are in hard copy, I will have to encode them one by one, so bear with me. I will be posting them as I go along.

The dates of posting are not necessarily the dates of creation.

I do not and never will claim that they are good, but if you find value in them, I thank you. You are most welcome to comment. I welcome both praise and criticism.

If for any reason you need to quote, lift excerpts, print, publish, or refer to the poems in any way, I would appreciate a note or an email, an acknowledgment of ownership, and an acknowledgment of the website. Intellectual property rights do apply.

Thursday, August 30, 2007

Ramblings

I heard you talk about your insight
on affairs of the heart one night.
You caught my attention on-site.
Have I...?
Nah, it was the view at Kelly Heights.

I came to know a really great person
fun-loving and always in season.
For an ailing heart, you're like a potion.
Have I...?
Nah, it's out of season.

I hear your strong and reassuring voice
everything else becomes noise.
To me your voice is music of choice.
Have I...?
Nah, I'm not like most other boys.

I often catch myself looking your way.
I just caught myself the other day.
Didn't exactly know what to say.
Have I...?
Nah, not me, Jose.

I miss the smile that brings me cheer
whenever you're not near.
Now I don't want you ever to disappear.
Have I...?
Nah, unlikely, a bit queer.

I miss your punch and gentle attack
whenever I'm out on backpack.
You make me want to hurry back.
Have I...?
Nah, I don't want to turn blue and black.

I search around and look for you
and when I don't see you
I feel blue.
Have I...?
Nah, must be getting the flu.

And then one night you decided to trust me
with things you held in secrecy.
You can't imagine how much that meant to me.
Have I...?
Nah, I'm no sucker for intimacy.

I stayed on the phone with you 'til dawn
not wanting to put down the telephone.
To you I think I was drawn.
Have I...?
Nah, I've always been alone.

I guess I'll always remember
the day we dined together
when time really didn't matter.
Have I...?
Nah, but I think it's becoming clearer.

I sat beside you and wanted to stay
couldn't find a reason to go away.
I didn't want to leave you anyway.
Have I...?
Nah, it's too early to say.

I touched your feet and felt alright.
Can't remember if it was the left or the right.
I just knew then that it felt so right.
Have I...?
I don't know, maybe my head was light.

Then yesterday I saw you
with somebody else, someone I knew.
I didn't know what to make of the view.
Have you...?
Oh, how I wish it wasn't true.

I envied the hands that held you.
I envied the arms around you.
It was only then that I knew.

Yes, I have fallen for you.

- written in 1997 for Ruth

4 comments:

  1. So...NOW i have a name. the last time i saw this, there wasn't. whoa! though u've written this long long ago, thank u pa rin. la lang! the fact that u took the time and didn't regret writing it, years after. coz in my case, sometimes when i'd go over my past stuffs and writings, i'd hate having written nice things for some guy! i'm glad we're friends now so there's no space for ill feelings right? u'r a great poet u know that! having read the others, galing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. no regrets here, paige... we do the things we do when we do them because they seemed to us like they were the right things to do then... it felt right to write you this poem. consider it as a memorial to you and to something that was special to me at that time.

    and thank you for the compliment!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails